Tuesday, July 26, 2011

The purpose and scope of this blog

As I've been developing this blog, I've had to consider what my target audience would be. Who did I want to reach? The very tech savvy people have a load of sites to consider. However, a lot of what's put on those blogs isn't very friendly to a person who's starting to dip their toes into the world of technology.

Jumping in at this point can be daunting. The industry has been around for some time and it's changing faster than ever before. Jumping in at this point is like jumping into a movie when it's half over and the biggest plot twist is about to take place. It's like jumping into the show Lost during the middle of the 4th season. It's not exactly the easiest thing to pick up.

I noticed a bit of a hole out there. There's not much to help everyone else catch up to what those who have been in this market forever are at in their level of understanding.

The efforts to help this segment out manifest themselves in a few ways. First off, there are a lot of topics I won't bother bringing up. For example, there are dozens of rumors out there about products and features that might be coming to market. The information behind these rumors is quite often rather technical and would confuse the target audience more than help them.

Another way it manifests is that because my target audience isn't exactly the kind that's probably in to checking the tech blogs every 5 minutes and they probably don't want to spend forever reading things about technology. So I'm not posting stories every 5 minutes (however, I do tend to get long winded every so often). It's probably closer to an average of once a week. When I find an interesting topic for those getting into technology, I'll post it.

I figured I would share these thoughts because it has been a while since I've posted anything. But then, it hasn't been the most new worthy couple of weeks. There are a few things I'll be sharing in the next few weeks and months that you can look forward to:


-Mango has just been announced to being released to manufacturers. What that means for the average Joe is that this update to the Windows Phone operating system is one step closer to hitting devices in your pocket and on store shelves. Once I get my hands on it, I'll be sure to share with you what it means for those looking at getting a smartphone.


-I'm still hoping to get my hands on one of the newer Windows 7 tablets to really get an understanding of how well the OS and devices work compared to the more well known tablets out there.


-I'll still be looking for apps and services that help improve the mobile experience.


-In the next few weeks and months, I'm looking at presenting mini tech projects for those who do want a better handle on technology. They won't be designed to make you an expert in any field. They'll hopefully help you just understand the technology out there so if you do find something that really excites you, you'll be better prepared to dive even further into it. In fact, if there's something in particular you would like to understand better, feel free to let me know in the comments.


Nobody's going to become the next great programmer or be able to start their own computer repair service based on what's shared on this blog. The hope is that you'll be more self sufficient with technology if you check in here every so often.

 So happy... um... computing??? I guess that's the best word. I hope that this blog ends up being a real helpful tool for those looking to get into this ever changing and ever exciting world of technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment