Monday, June 20, 2011

MSI WindPad 110W available for pre-order

A site called jr.com is offering the ability to pre-order the MSI WindPad 110W. The site lists some of the specs for the device. Most of it was already known (such as the AMD Brazos APU and Windows 7 for the operating system). But we get a few more details. For those that aren't too tech savvy, I'll include a bit of commentary.


Memory:
4GB DDR3. That's on par with my desktop system and more than most tablet PCs. I'm quite happy to see this.

Storage:
32GB on board. Now if that's not enough for you, there's an SD card reader. So for around $50, you can just buy a 32GB SD card and double that. If I'm buying the 110W, I'd buy that SD card and keep all my media and whatnot on that while putting my programs on the system hard drive.

Speakers:
Built in with SRS. In my experience, SRS is just a gimmick. You won't notice much of an impact.

Battery:
2 cell 4200 mAh. I'll be curious to see how much life you get out of this. The site claims a 6 hour battery life. Given a comparison with other devices, their specs, and their batteries, I'll just say I'll believe that when I see it.


Other fun stuff:
The device also includes the usual wireless stuff (WiFi with 802.11b/g/n as well as Bluetooth) so you'll be able to get it to work on your home network as well as use your Bluetooth keyboard, mouse, and headset. There's also a built-in microphone which will be nice for Skype.

Another feature is GPS. Andrew Reese mentioned the GPS functionality in his review of the Acer Iconia A500. I don't see a lot of use for GPS on a tablet... yet. Perhaps as they become more popular, more software will be developed and maybe Windows 8 will have some GPS functionality.

The color listed on the site is the most curious of all the details available. It's listed as dark brown. I've yet to see a version of this device in any shade of brown and I can't help but wonder how dark is this dark brown. The site offers no images so we're left to wonder.

Should you pre-order from this site?
I'm going to say wait. I have no experience with jr.com so I can't say anything good or anything bad about them. Secondly, we don't have a release date yet. Between now and launch another site (and possibly a site you know and trust) might offer a better price, free shipping, or something of that sort.

There's no need to be the first to pre-order something. But if you're feeling the urge to do so, you can head over to the site and put in your name.

No comments:

Post a Comment